Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Copenhagen, Denmark

Denmark was absolutely beautiful. And significantly less expensive. I'm not 100% sure how it works, but because of the exchange rate, things would cost the same amount of Norwegian Kroners as Danish Kroners, but American Dollars were worth more in Denmark. 

Adam and I headed to our hostel, which was very nice and only a short walk away from some the downtown area and a subway station. 

(Our hostel is on the left, note the ridiculously
blue sky)

The day was young, Adam and I decided to split up so he could do a biking tour and I could see the most photographed statue in the world, The Little Mermaid. I took the subway one stop and walked over to the harbor. The statue was pretty much what I expected it to be, just a bronze mermaid. I think the thrill of it was knowing that I was there seeing it in person and not just a photo. 

Speaking of which

After the mermaid I headed to this fortress that was pretty famous in Copenhagen's history, and walked around for a while.

(It is still used for military purposes today)

The city of Copenhagen had pretty remarkable weather while we were there. There are lots of rivers and canals running through the city, which meant that boat tours were also probable here. I had had enough of boat tours after turning into a popsicle in Norway though, so I decided to pass. I chose instead to walk through a few parks.

(The boats for the tours were everywhere)

(I sat for a while by this pond, it reminds me
of a painting I have in my room in the states)

Adam and I met up again in the evening and walked around the downtown area and then called it a night. But not before seeing some amusing things.

(This was funny, because it's just "probably"
the best beer in town)

(This was a pretty awesome thermometer, 
on the corner of a building)

The next morning I went to Christiania. Wow. It was pretty amazing. Christiania is this small section of the city that broke away from the government and is now called the Free State of Christiania. Unfortunately, due to some recent legal issues, photography is no longer allowed inside. Basically it was a living embodiment of what the world would be like if the hippy movement hadn't died down. There was graffiti everywhere, lots of little booths where you could find clothes, jewelry, drug paraphernalia etc.

I spent the morning there and then headed to Riz Raz, a restaurant that for about 10$ has a vegetarian/vegan lunch buffet. Naturally I ate lunch there, and then spent the rest of the evening walking around town. Around 8 or so, Adam and I met up, because we had to change hostels for the night. For that night we were staying in the Copenhagen Youth Airport Hostel which as its name would suggest is right next to the airport. 

However, the airport is not exactly in the city. We took a subway, a bus, and walked for about 15 minutes to get there. Only to find out that bed linen was not included, which is pretty typical in Scandinavia. It wasn't the greatest hostel. It was founded by two guys in their early thirties who basically bought a house and turned it into a hostel. But, our train the next morning was early, so it didn't really matter as long as we had a place to stay. 

We woke up early, showered and headed back to the Copenhagen train station, where we would catch a 6 hour train to Stockholm Sweden. 

No comments: