Sunday, February 8, 2009

München Part Two

I would like to start this post with a small collection of photos that I like to call "Joe with Weird Animal Statues"

(Joe & the Bedazzled Bull)


(Joe & the Smiling Boar)

(Joe & the Hungry Fish)

So Joe and I left the other group behind, to begin exploring the city. There's a lot of history in München, some good, some bad, all fascinating. We stayed in the city center for a while, which is really quite beautiful. It's also were we spent most of our time when I was in München in 2006, and I actually remembered a lot of the place.

(So pretty)

(I'm pretty sure I have a picture near this fountain from 2006)

Joe wanted to find a church to take some pictures for his family, so we found a pretty large one and went inside. I tried to avoid taking pictures inside, because I didn't want to be disrespectful, but I couldn't resist snapping a quick shot of this...

(Aegidius, the patron saint of stomach cramps, apparently)

After about forty-five minutes we walked back towards Marienplatz, the center, to see what was on the other side, and low and behold, the tour was still there. They had just been standing there listening to awful anecdotes from the tour guide (who constantly reminded them that she works on tips as a guide) Joe and I laughed and continued on exploring.

(A lion in the shape of a giant glass of beer)

(Mannequin just hanging out on a window ledge)

It was at this point in the afternoon when my camera flashed the warning "Caution, batteries are exhausted) and of course I didn't think to bring any spare batteries for the weekend, so tragically I have no more Munich pictures, and I haven't had time to steal them from other people.

Joe and I decided that since we had paid for the subway all day, we should take advantage of it, and we went to explore places that the rest of the group wouldn't be able to walk to. We found the University and some other neat places, and then headed back to meet up with the tour group, who were getting lunch at Hofbräuhaus, probably the most famous beer hall ever.

When most people picture Germany, they probably imagine Hofbräuhaus, without even realizing it. They serve liters of beer, the robust beer-wenches wear dirndls, there was a live brass band playing, women wearing gingham walked around with baskets selling enormous pretzels, and yes, even old men in lederhosen. We spent several hours there.
We headed back to the hostel so people could change or drop of bags so that we could head right back out for a night on the town. There were four Australians staying in the hostel, and we invited them to join us, which they accepted. We headed to Löwenbrau a place smaller, but similar to Hofbräuhaus. We then decided that really, Hofbräuhaus is where we wanted to spend our night, so we headed back, and things had significantly picked up since we had left. There were hundreds of people, waitresses carrying four liters of beer in each hand, and just the warmest, brightest atmosphere imaginable. It was heaven.

We headed back to the hostel, Kelsey and I went to sleep, which was probably the best choice we had made that day. A group of Americans and Australians headed to the youth hostel/bar that was next door, and continued the night. They rolled into bed around 5:00 or 6:00am. What they forgot was that we had to check out at 10:00.
So 9:00am comes around and we all groggily wake up. It was one of the best/worst mornings ever. I look over at one of my friends (who will remain nameless) who had literally just fallen into bed and stayed there til morning. Clothes: on, shoes: on, blanket: off, pillow: unused. It was pretty amazing. 

As a group, we decided that since we had cars, we could make a quick detour on the way home. So we decided to head to Dachau, which was the very first concentration camp during the holocaust. It was an unforgettable experience. I don't think I can rightly explain the shiver I felt walking through the iron gate that reads "Arbeit macht frei" (work makes free). Most of us split up, needing to experience this place alone for a while. I walked down the gravel path between the buildings that housed thousands of people. I saw the prison cells where people couldn't sit down. I walked through the crematorium. I stood in a gas chamber, and saw the ovens that they used to dispose of the bodies. It was not something I will be able to put into words. It was an experience that I will never forget.

We headed back to Horb rather somberly, but also feeling pretty connected to each other. I went straight to bed, physically and emotionally exhausted. This is exactly what I hoped my experiences in Germany would be like, I knew my life would change, I just didn't know how much or how quickly. 

So. Another amazing weekend in Germany. More soon.

No comments: