Sunday, March 8, 2009

Fasching - Dirty Thursday

One of the reasons that this post is two weeks late, is that I have been struggling to put together the words to describe the events of Faschings-weekend...

I will do my best.

So Thursday, (originally 'Schmaltziger Donnerstag' meaning 'Greasy Thursday', today it is known simply as 'Schmotziger Donnerstag' or... 'Dirrty Thursday') we went to our normal day of school. Dirty Thursday is a favorite for school kids, because it is the day when people dressed up in Witch costumes come into the school, to announce that the children are free and don't have to finish school for the day. The kids, who came to school dressed in costume, get to make a small parade around the town. They also have a week long break for Fasching.

So school ended, and our group of HHK students got ready for the night, which we were told is just a giant, town-wide party. We had a pair of cats, a bunny, some American indians. Basically an assortment of some of the strangest looking costumes we could put together for as little money as possible. And of course, as a costume design student, I was not to be outdone.. so I went as...
(Maya as a witch, Cassie as a cat in a coat, and me)

The festivities started near the Rathaus, where the Bürgermeister (which means 'Mayor' and not 'boogey-man' as one of the girls present thought) told a lengthy story in a thick Swabisch accent. Finally, the witches of the town took over and did a little mini-ballet celebrating the fact they had stolen the city and wouldn't be returning it until Ash-Wednesday.

After this little ceremony, we headed to one of the many outdoor parties spread through-out town. I made the mistake of standing too near a metal post, where a group of middle-aged women dressed as Indianer, were waiting to tie me up.
Yup. I got tied to a pole...
(Tied to a pole..)

They tied me up, made some spectacularly politically-incorrect noises and told me I would have to pay ten euros to be set free. I explained that I didn't bring any money, which was a lie, but I certainly wasn't going to pay them. Of course they didn't believe me.

Thankfully, Cassie was there to rescue me..

(Tied to Cassie...)

Realizing their efforts were futile, our captors finally let us go.
We spent the rest of the night, going from tent-party to tent-party, and into a couple of bars. We met some really cool people, and some slightly less cool people. The latter group including a boy with thick black eye-liner dressed as a pirate. He was feeling very in to the idea of speaking in english.

Pirate (in English): I had got the highest grade in English at school, you should speak English to me.

Me (in German): But I'm here to improve my German

Pirate (in really excited English): See!! I understand you much better when you speak in English!

Me (in German): But... I... haven't said anything in English..

Pirate (finally in German): Wait really?

He then proceeded to introduce me to a group of his friends, speaking veeerrryyy slllooowwwwllly. I finally just leaned forward towards his friends and said in German, "I don't really understand why he's talking so slowly.. I actually speak German pretty well,"
His friends all agreed, and then proceeded to make fun of him.

So a pretty wild night. The worst part of which was that we had to wake up and go to school the next day. Fortunately our teacher was really nice to us, and decided to teach us alcohol vocabulary. 

Fasching however, was far from over...

No comments: